• Link
  • FAQ
  • Student Guide to Japan 2019-2020
  • Pamphlet Scholarships for International Students in Japan 2019-2020
  • Event information
  • International Students Interview

    Planning studies in Japan

    Other Exams Used for Studying in Japan

    Check the application guidebooks for the school you are interested in and take the designated examinations.

    1.Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU)

    The Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) is used to evaluate whether international students who wish to enroll at the undergraduate level at universities or other such higher educational institutions in Japan possess the Japanese language skills and the basic academic abilities needed to study at those Japanese institutions.

    2. Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)

    The Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) is designed to evaluate and certify Japanese language proficiency for non-native Japanese speakers. The test is held twice a year (July and December) in Japan and overseas test site cities.

    1) Administered in Japan

    Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (JEES)
    (Application Center: Open on weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.) Tel: +81-3-6686-2974

    2) Administered overseas

    Center for Japanese-Language Testing, the Japan Foundation Tel: +81-3-5367-1025

    3. The National Center Test

    The National Center Test is a test that Japanese students are required to take for admission to undergraduate programs in national and public universities as well as some private universities in Japan. International students are not required to take this test for admission to most universities, but are required to take it for admission to some undergraduate programs (mainly faculties of medicine and dentistry).

    4. Other examinations used for studying in Japan

    ● Examination that provides proof of English language proficiency:

    TOEFL®, IELTS, TOEIC®, the Eiken Test in Practical English Proficiency

    ● Examination that provides proof of academic abilities that are equivalent to those of upper secondary school graduates:

    Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT), American College Test (ACT), International Baccalaureate Exams, test scores of a unified university entrance examination in an international student’s home country, etc.

    Most Japanese universities require rospective students to submit a certificate of proficiency in English when applying. Taking the applicable exam while you are studying at a Japanese-language institute is a good idea.