This site is a government-approved information site for studying in Japan operated by the Japan Student Services Organization in cooperation with the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. and More

Text Size
CONTACT PDF for print
Planning studies in Japan

Japanese Language Institutes

These institutes teach non-Japanese speakers the Japanese language. In most coureses of study at higher education institutions in Japan, the classes are conducted in Japanese. To follow along with school classes, Japanese language abilities of around Japanese Language Proficiency Test levels N1 or N2 are required. This is equal to around 600 to 900 or more hours of study. It depends on the environment and individual effort, but even with concentrated study in Japan it requires around one to two years to reach this level.

[International students who have not yet completed 12 years of formal school education]

University Preparatory Courses

Students who have completed 10 or 11 years of elementary and secondary school education and wish to apply for admission to higher education institutions, such as universities, in Japan must meet either of the following eligibility criteria. If you are unsure whether you are eligible for admission, contact the school you are planning to apply to.

  1. Have completed 12 years of formal school education by taking an additional one or two years of schooling at a university or other higher education institution or a university preparatory program in their home country.
  2. Have completed university preparatory courses (junbi kyouiku katei) authorized by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan (provided, however, that they have completed a level of education equivalent to a Japanese High School). However, for those who have completed less than 12 years of elementary or secondary education, if they have completed 11 or more years of education in a country designated by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, they are considered eligible for admission without completing a preparatory education course.

[International students who have completed 12 years of formal school education]

Japanese Language Schools

Japanese language schools are places where international students, etc. who wish to enter Japanese institutions of higher education can obtain a Student status of residence and study the Japanese language and other subjects.

Preparatory Japanese Language Courses of Universities and Junior Colleges

Some private universities and colleges offer preparatory Japanese language courses in a similar way as Japanese language schools offer. Students planning on further study in university may use the admission on recommendation system offered by universities with preparatory Japanese language programs. Students can also apply for admission to other universities of their choice. Preparatory Japanese language programs offered at private universities and junior colleges are also known as "Bekka."